History of the Dragoon Pigeon:
The earliest written evidence of the Dragoon Pigeon was recorded in 1735. Originally, this breed was named Dragon, but later on the name was changed to Dragoon to portray its uprightness in posture.
Another considered reason for its name was the fact that it was used in flying contests for mainly gentlemen rather than common men. The breed is classified both as a wattle and homing Pigeon.
The Dragoon Pigeon is one of the oldest breeds of domestic fancy pigeons, originating from the United Kingdom.
In the past, it was the most popular breed of Pigeon that was kept in the United Kingdom.
The Dragoon Pigeon is a descendant of the wild rock Pigeon. It is raised for shows and exhibitions. Also, the Dragoon Pigeons were one of the most popular breeds during the time of Charles Darwin, he used it for the purpose of recording anatomical measurements.
|Breed name:||Dragoon Pigeon|
|Other name:||Non existing|
|Purpose of breed:||For exhibitions and for raising pets.|
|Special facts:||It is beautiful, alert, active, of good behaviour, has excellent parenting skills and good for raising pets.|
|Colors:||The breed has several colors like black, blue checks, blue bars, grizzles, red checks, silver bars, silver checks, cream bars, red, white, yellow checks and yellow. However, common colors includes white, blue bar, red, yellow, dun and blue check.|
|Climate tolerance:||Native climates|
|Place of origin:||United Kingdom|
Interesting facts about Dragoon Pigeons:
- Dragoon Pigeons have powerful wings with short flight feathers resting on its tail which is made of close fitting feathers.
- The Indian Gola Pigeon is a replica of the Dragoon Pigeon, however, the Indian Gola has more mottled wings.
- The Dragoon Pigeon is a good flyer.
- The Dragoon Pigeon is an alert and watchful bird.
- The breed has several amazing colours like black, blue checks, blue bars, grizzlies, red checks, silver bars, silver checks, cream bars, red, white, yellow checks and yellow.
- The common colours of the Dragoon Pigeon include white, blue bar, red, yellow, dun and blue check.
- The breed was at one time the most popular Pigeon kept in the United Kingdom.
- The Dragoon Pigeon has excellent parenting skills and can therefore rear their young ones over their lifetime.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What is a Dragoon Pigeon?
A Dragoon Pigeon is a breed of domesticated fancy pigeon that came into existence many years ago through several selective breeding. It is a descendant of the wild rock dove.
How to identify?
The easiest way to identify a Dragoon Pigeon is through its beak, the beak of the Dragoon Pigeon is usually stout and quite blunt. It also has large blood-red colored eyes.
Another way to identify the Dragoon Pigeon is through its neck. The neck of a Dragoon Pigeon is medium sized.
What are Dragoon Pigeons used for?
Dragoon Pigeons are used mainly for show and exhibition. It is also used for raising pets.
History and origin of Dragoon Pigeons: Where are they from?
The Dragoon Pigeon is one of the oldest breeds of domestic fancy pigeons, it originated from the United Kingdom. At one time, it was the most popular breed of Pigeon that was kept in the United Kingdom.
How to identify the gender of Dragoon Pigeon?
The most common way to identify the gender of a Dragoon Pigeon is by holding their wings. When their two wings are held, shake it in the air.
If the tail of the bird is straight, then it’s a male pigeon, but if the tail is in an upward position then it is a female.
How long do Dragoon Pigeons live?
When in the wild, Dragoon Pigeons can live for about six years. But as a pet, it can live for up to fifteen years, some can also live up to twenty years.
Characteristics, Appearances and Behavior of Dragoon Pigeons
The Dragoon Pigeon is medium sized in nature, it is a kind of bird that moves erectly with confidence. The head and breast of the Dragoon Pigeon is broad, it also has a stout and a rather blunt beak, with no gullet present.
It has eyes with the color of blood-red and ceres that are small and finely laced.
Another way to identify the Dragoon Pigeon is through its neck. The neck of a Dragoon Pigeon is medium sized with no gullet present.
The breed has a variety of colors like black, blue checks, blue bars, grizzlies, red checks, silver bars, silver checks, cream bars, red, white, yellow checks and yellow.
Common colors include white, blue bar, red, yellow, dun and blue check.
The Dragoon Pigeon is a well behaved bird with excellent skills in parenting. They are watchful, smart, active and alert.
Types and varieties of Dragoon Pigeons (Breeds and colors)
The Dragoon Pigeons are of the Columba livia.
The Dragoon Pigeons vary by their color. As it has been earlier stated, the Dragoon Pigeons have many colors.
How to breed Dragoon Pigeons?
It is very important to pay attention to your Pigeon as a breeder. The best ways to breed your Dragoon Pigeons are:
- Provide a safe and comfortable place for them to live in.
- Expose your Dragoon Pigeons to natural sunlight as it helps in enhancing the damson hue of their cere.
- As a breeder, you need to pay close attention to the beak structure of your Dragoon Pigeon.
- Ensure that their diet is good in order to ensure a healthier life for them and to make them fit to mate and lay strong eggs.
- Give your Pigeons time to pair up (if you have more than one, or allow them mix up with other Pigeons near you).
Feeding Dragoon Pigeons
A bird-seed mix that is specifically designed for Pigeons is one of the best food to feed your Pigeon with.
This breed also needs the right nutrients to stay healthy, protect their immune systems and make them cheerful.
Feeding the Dragoon Pigeon will ensure the best healthcare nutrition to them.
Related Read: When Can Baby Pigeons Feed Themselves?
A few of the nutrients required in feeding this breed are:
- Vitamin A: Pigeons develop health problems when they lack Vitamin A, it is therefore very essential to provide Vitamin A for your Dragoon Pigeon.
- Protein: Protein will help in building strong claws and beaks for your Pigeon. It will also provide strength to enable your Pigeon walk and fly around.
- B Complex: This will help in building the bodily functions of your Pigeon.
- Vitamin K: Lack of Vitamin K will lead to a pile up of bacteria in your Pigeon’s bowels, and may likely cause other diseases. So it is important that your Pigeon is given Vitamin K.
- Ascorbic Acid: This will control the metabolism of your Dragoon Pigeon.
- Probiotics: This will ensure that the food taken in by your bird is properly digested.
- Calcium: It is well known that calcium makes bones stronger. The Dragoon Pigeon is not an exception to this. It is of great importance that you feed your Pigeons with food or liquids containing calcium so as to ensure that if it lays eggs the shells are strong and viable.
Another thing to feed your Pigeon with is fruits and vegetables. This will also provide and furthermore increase their intake of essential vitamins and minerals.
Related Read: What not to feed pigeons?
You could try Grapes and Apples or Berries from time to time, depending on which one your bird likes.
Make sure that you cut the fruits into smaller pieces to make it easy for your Pigeon to pick them up and chew and at the same time be safe and free from choking.
You can also give your Dragoon Pigeon peas.
In addition, add grains to the diet of your Dragoon Pigeon. This could be either corn, rye, millet and wheat or a mixture of any.
Also, do not ever forget to provide clean and healthy drinking water for your Dragoon Pigeon.
Do not feed your Dragoon Pigeon with:
- Anything that contains xylitol
What do you feed Dragoon Pigeon?
The best thing to feed this breed with is seeds. Seeds are the primary source of food for Pigeons.
One of the most common seeds used to feed pigeons is sunflower seeds. But, it is better to feed your bird with a bird-seed mix that is specifically designed for Pigeons.
You can also provide some fruits and vegetables for your Pigeon and healthy drinking water.
Related Read: Can You Feed Birds Bread? | Will Birds Eat Bread?
Are Dragoon Pigeons good pets?
The Dragoon Pigeons are good to be kept as pets. After all, they are active, smart and watchful. They are also naturally clean and not easily prone to diseases.
They will make a loyal and faithful companion to humans. They are also friendly, but you have to treat them right.
Are Dragoon Pigeons rare?
Dragoon Pigeons are commonly found across lofts of various pigeon breeders.
How much does a Dragoon Pigeon cost?
The price range of a Dragoon Pigeon is about $25.